Exeter & District Embroiderers' Guild is a branch of the educational charity Embroiderers' Guild, whose remit is to build awareness of stitch and textile art, and to encourage, inspire and promote the achievement of excellence.

News & Info

Message from Dee re Christmas

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update in time for the Christmas meeting.

The meeting will be at the usual times

You will need to bring a plate of food to share. It can be sweet or savoury, somehow it all seems to work out without planning!

If you want to take part in the bran tub/lucky dip/secret santa, please bring a wrapped gift with a stitch connection. In the past few years we have had some lovely gifts but they had nothing to do with sewing so I think it’s time to get back to our roots. The gift can be handmade or sewing supplies or an inspiration pack made up from your stash or threads, anything really. If it’s something bought the guide is £3 to £5.

We will be making two types of decorations so you will need a sewing kit, including pins and embroidery threads. One of the decorations needs 5metres of narrow ribbon so have a rootle to see what you have. As usual I will go off piste (no never been skiing but it sounds good!) and will use sari ribbon or sparkly wool. It will be lumpy bumpy rather than elegant and might not even work but it’ll be fun!

We usually have a show and tell so if you have one or two pieces of work you are pleased with please bring them along. You don’t have to stand up and talk about them if you don’t want to and there is no obligation to take part but it is a nice thing to do.

After this we will have our Christmas lunch. It’s a lovely way to pause before the hurly burly of panic buying so I hope lots of you can come and join us.

With a bit of luck we will have the long awaited programmes available. Apologies again for the mix up but it is available on the website if you can’t wait!

Take care, Dee

Message from Terry Murphy & the Board of Trustees at Head Office

We are aware of speculation on the future financial viability of the Central Guild or Head Office. We wish to make the position clear although much of the information on sources of income was included in the report by the Chair of Finance to the Guild AGM in May and subsequently published on the members’ side of the website.

It is correct that all the Guild’s sources of income are declining and some, books, have all but ceased. Only few years ago we were earning £30,000 from book sales but much of this has been lost to purchasing direct from Amazon and other on-line sources.

Our magazines are doing well, although sales have declined, albeit much less than other similar magazines. This is against a background of people spending considerably less on magazines than was the case 8 years ago. It is, therefore, costing much more to achieve the sales we have. At the same time the production  costs remain stubbornly high. They do not go down proportionately to the reduction in sales.

It is also the case that our administration systems have to cope with many different ways of paying with very limited support among members for payment by direct debit only. Processing and reconciling members preferred mainly manual payment options takes a large percentage of staff time.  In addition, we still have to use printed communications and, without members’ permission, cannot make the best use of on-line options.

Our membership is declining albeit much more slowly than was the case 5 years ago and we are doing better than many similar membership organisations. Smaller branches are finding it harder to continue and there is little appetite in many branches for attracting new members.

At the same time we need to invest in our future and, in particular, in attracting new generations of members and supporters.

This has led to us making significant changes.

  1. Changing the way the head office works and how it provides services to members and branches. This will entail having a much smaller head office, more part time or contractor roles, and members of staff working remotely via on-line connections. Please see a separate announcement on the future location of the Guild’s Head Office.
  1. Finding different ways to manage the annual projects such as the AGM, Members’ Challenge, Graduate selection and associated administration etc.
  1. To further reduce our staff numbers. In addition,  staff had the option to declare their role redundant by virtue of the fact that the travelling distance to the new office at Bucks County Museum in Aylesbury would be too far.
  1. To reduce the costs of our contracted staff and suppliers.

As a result of either 1, 2, or 3 we are sorry to be losing Jan Jardine, Annie Franz, and Olina Preston. They will be leaving us at the end of August. All have given many years service to the Guild and we wish them very well in the future.

For further, more detailed, information on the changes that will come into effect in September please keep the 4-page centre supplement included in the July issue of Contact


Message from Julia, Regional Secretary – July 2016

The 2016 AGM is being hosted by the Salisbury Branch. It will be held on Saturday October 15th at St George’s Church Hall, Lower Street, Harnham, Salisbury, SP2 8EY. The doors open at 9.30 a.m. and the AGM starts at 10.30. The Agenda is attached   and more information and directions here

Several people are standing down from the committee and we are in need of a new Chair, Treasurer, YE Rep, Secretary and other committee members. Please ask all of your members if they would be willing to stand. I have attached nomination forms for all of these posts. We have a committee meeting next Tuesday in Taunton. If any aspiring committee member would like to come to this meeting to see what we do, then please let me know.
– Julia Regional Secretary

Nomination forms:-Nomination for YE Rep      Nomination Treasurer SW region 

Nomination secretary SW region      Nomination form Committee   Nomination form Chair

MESSAGE FROM DEE PRIEST JULY 2016

We put up the exhibition at Ugbrooke House on Tuesday and I have to admit my heart swelled with pride at all the wonderful work you have done! Together with South Somerset and South Devon it is a terrific exhibition and I do hope you get the opportunity to go and see it. The cushions are in the house and can be seen if you go on an escorted tour. The panels are in the orangery and can be seen if you pay to go in the grounds.
As I hope you know ( I’ve been banging on about it) Ugbrooke House is having a charity and open day next Sunday 10th July . We have a pitch there where we can sell or just stitch and they are doing mini tours of the house. There are lots of attractions ( I’ll send a poster to Judith to put on our website so do look). I’d really appreciate it if you could let me know if you would like to sell work or stitch so that I can negotiate a reduced rate for entry if possible and will have to give them a list. If you are selling you need to be there all the time as we really can’t take that responsibility. If you are stitching please give me an idea when you will come. The event runs from 11 until 4.
Again thank you so much for all your enthusiasm. I’m sure we will all be pleased that I won’t be going on about Capability Brown except to say that there are a lot of exhibitions throughout the country so look out for them if you go visiting. There is a list on the main Embroiderers Guild website. Take care everyone, Dee

NEWS FROM EMBROIDERERS GUILD HEAD OFFICE

The Guild is moving its head office. Our original 5-year lease on Kings Road, Walton-on-Thames expired in February of this year. We have been exploring options for some time.

Following on from the results of the consultation with members in October 2015/January 2016 where proposals to streamline the membership renewals process did not find favour we have been looking at other ways to reduce our costs. In this context, several options have been evaluated including staying at Kings Road and moving to locations in the Midlands and North.

During the latter stages of the discussions with Bucks County Museum Trust on housing the Guild’s Collection on a permanent basis they made us an offer of office space on the museum site. Their terms represented very substantial savings compared to current costs. The other properties we had been exploring either did not come to fruition or were going to be substantially more expensive than the offer from Bucks County Museum.

The trustees, therefore, accepted their offer. The offer from Bucks County had the added bonus of relocating the Guild, its Collection, Folios and Library, in one place on a long term basis. The move will take place at the end of August 2016.

It will require substantial preparation, far greater than the move from Hampton Court. This relates to the fact that the office space will be reduced by more than 50%. As a consequence we will be closing the office on Friday 5th August. It will reopen on 5th September. This coincides with many branch summer holidays, however, there will be an email helpline for any emergencies. This emergency email address will be published in a supplement to Contact at the end of July.

Further information and ‘Q & A’s will be published in Contact at the end of July and on the members’ side of the website.

 The Board of Trustees

_________________________

EMBROIDERER’S GUILD FINANCE REPORT

We are aware of speculation on the future financial viability of the Central Guild or Head Office. We wish to make the position clear although much of the information on sources of income was included in the report by the Chair of Finance to the Guild AGM in May and subsequently published on the members’ side of the website.

It is correct that all the Guild’s sources of income are declining and some, books, have all but ceased. Only few years ago we were earning £30,000 from book sales but much of this has been lost to purchasing direct from Amazon and other on-line sources.

Our magazines are doing well, although sales have declined, albeit much less than other similar magazines. This is against a background of people spending considerably less on magazines than was the case 8 years ago. It is, therefore, costing much more to achieve the sales we have. At the same time the production  costs remain stubbornly high. They do not go down proportionately to the reduction in sales.

It is also the case that our administration systems have to cope with many different ways of paying with very limited support among members for payment by direct debit only. Processing and reconciling members preferred mainly manual payment options takes a large percentage of staff time.  In addition, we still have to use printed communications and, without members’ permission, cannot make the best use of on-line options.

Our membership is declining albeit much more slowly than was the case 5 years ago and we are doing better than many similar membership organisations. Smaller branches are finding it harder to continue and there is little appetite in many branches for attracting new members.

At the same time we need to invest in our future and, in particular, in attracting new generations of members and supporters.

This has led to us making significant changes.

  1.  Changing the way the head office works and how it provides services to members and branches. This will entail having a much smaller head office, more part time or contractor roles, and members of staff working remotely via on-line connections. Please see a separate announcement on the future location of the Guild’s Head Office.
  2.  Finding different ways to manage the annual projects such as the AGM, Members’ Challenge, Graduate selection and associated administration etc.
  3.  To further reduce our staff numbers. In addition,  staff had the option to declare their role redundant by virtue of the fact that the travelling distance to the new office at Bucks County Museum in Aylesbury would be too far.
  4.  To reduce the costs of our contracted staff and suppliers.

As a result of either 1, 2, or 3 we are sorry to be losing Jan Jardine, Annie Franz, and Olina Preston. They will be leaving us at the end of August. All have given many years service to the Guild and we wish them very well in the future.

 For further, more detailed, information on the changes that will come into effect in September please keep the 4-page centre supplement included in the next issue of Contact due to be with members by end July.

_____________________________

 LETTER FROM DEE PRIEST JUNE 2016

Hello everyone. It seems that I am rubbish at newsletters so hopefully this will be more reliable.

Thank you very much indeed to all of you who filled in the form or contacted me to let me know if you are planning to exhibit a piece for the Capability Brown exhibition at Ugbrooke House. My relentless nagging has borne fruit or else you were just going to be super stars all along! We will have a great exhibition! I’ve painted all the canvases twice and we have D rings to attach and fishing line for hanging.

At the next meeting we will be attaching your work and the D rings ready to go. Its really important that you bring your work in a named bag with Exeter Branch included to the next meeting on June 11th. If you can’t make that meeting please arrange for someone to collect it. If you don’t know who could, contact me and I’ll look at the list or collect it myself. If it is to go on a canvas we can do it at the meeting and attach the D rings but I really don’t want to be doing a load on my own after the date. Thank you in advance!

We will be hanging and displaying the work on Tuesday 28th June and the house and gardens will open on the following Sunday. All the cushions will be displayed in the three downstairs rooms in the house and the canvases will be in the orangery café. Remember that it is not NT but a private house. It is also not open every day so check the website before going. The cushions will be perfectly safe as you can only enter the house as part of a group with volunteers doing the tour. In the Orangery the work will be secured to trellis attached to the wall. Its a brilliant house and the grounds and gardens are lovely.

On Sunday 10th July we have secured a space on their charity day which will take the place of our National Stitch Day and we will be able to sell our work. I would suggest small pieces as there will be a lot of stalls. This is the only time we need people to help. If you are selling you need to give some time and some profits but it is also an opportunity to sit and sew and promote the Guild.

Starting with the next meeting Liz Moon is starting a stitch a month initiative. (Fantastic!). This will run alongside whatever workshop we are doing. Bring along a hoop (any size) some fabric, needles and thread and you should be able to build up a wonderful set of samples. Liz will take a stitch and show you different ways of interpreting it.

At the next meeting we will also have the printing blocks just for fun so you can print your plain or patterned fabric without me nagging and asking if it is for Capability Brown!

The next Day-school is with Stef Francis. We have one space due to a cancellation. Please let me know if you want it.

As some of you will be aware we have been working closely with South Devon group as they were very small and struggling a bit. They have had a few new members recently but we are still in talks for becoming a new fangled thing called a partner group. This would mean that, as a matter of course we would share information, dayschools etc so that they would become more viable and we would have more opportunity for day-schools a good thing as we are not getting so many days for dayschools ourselves. They are having Wendy Dolan for one day in September Tuesday 27th September in Harberton. The subject is Architecture. Do let me know if you are interested and I will get more details.

I think that’s all for now. Sorry for any typos- a combination of my inadequacies and a pc having a midlife crisis with diva behaviour! See you all at the next meeting, Dee

If you are using a canvas the cost to you will be £2 for an A4 canvas and £3 for an A3 canvas. This includes the D rings. This is a billy bargain as we are absorbing half the cost. Of course please feel free to pay the full price if you wish to fill the coffers. It is still a bargain!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Letter from Terry Murphy March 2016: Game of Thrones

Message from the Chair February 2016

Hello everyone. Here is the link for the website for the Regional Festival in Cornwall on 9th April. It should be a really good day with excellent speakers and fabulous traders like Art Van Go (I know!)
If you can’t go you might like to try the competition. It’s a postcard, 6 by 4 inches, of any aspect of the seaside, done any way you like with your name and branch on the back. A little bit of summer huddled in your cosy pjs! Anyway have a look and see if you can be tempted!
http://www.cornwallstitchers.co.uk/welcome/4589323436

link here: Consultation Explanations of Head Office proposals

Marlborough & District Embroiderers Guild – 40th Ruby Celebration Exhibition

MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIR – DECEMBER 2015

Hello everyone. I just thought it would be a good idea to go through the arrangements for the next EG meeting. If you can’t come please have a wonderful break being as self indulgent as you dare! We’ll look forward to seeing you in January when we will be block printing and stencilling ready for embroidering. Watch this space for more news!
If you can come, we hope to have a lovely day creating, talking and eating!
First of all we will fill in those pesky consultation forms and I will then return them all to HQ.
After that we will have Show and Tell for those who want to. Just bring something you have finished or started to show everyone else. There is no obligation at but it is fun to see what we are all doing. While we are doing that I will have prepared a piece of embellished felt for each of you to make a soft glitzy pod to hang up or give away. The ones in the picture are in groups of three but we will only make one. I’ll try to do lots of colourways so that you all get a good choice. You need to bring needles, threads, beads, sequins etc although I believe Marilyn has a few inspiration packs at only £1. I’ll bring lots of stuff too but we haven’t got many beads with big holes to put the ribbon through.
You also need to bring some food! It can be a plate, a packet, a box, whatever you like. Well put them all together for a scrummy buffet to share.
Another tradition is the Bran Tub. I had no idea what this was but it turns out that it’s a sort of lucky dip or raffle. Each person brings a wrapped gift less than £5 in value. It must be stitch related otherwise it gets away from the whole point! If you put in a gift you will get one back. Again there is absolutely no obligation to take part.
I hope lots of you will be able to come. It is always a lovely day and will be an oasis before the mad rush.
See you there, Dee
Just to recap, you will need to bring:
Some food for the buffet
Hand sewing kit plus glitzy thread, beads etc
Show and tell if you want
A wrapped stitch related gift if you want to take part

This looks tempting! http://www.craftyretreats.com/

————————————

** DON’T FORGET LINDA MONKS’ TALK ON 21 OCTOBER – £3 TO INCLUDE TEA & BISCUITS **

Westpoint September 24-27 2015

              Sept 15 - 3     Sept 15 - 2   Westpoint Sept 15  Sept 15

Message from Terry Murphy, CEO:

To: All Branch Chairs, cc Regional Chairs; Trustees

 As you may know the Embroiderers’ Guild is a Festival Partner for the 300 Year Annivsary celebration of life and times of Capability Brown. We have secured 42 host venues throughout England and 3 pavilions at national shows in 2016 for exhibitions of members’ pieces – your interpretations of gardens and landscapes. This will be a unique contribution to the festival organised by English Heritage, The National Trust and the Landscape Institute and a huge oportunity to showcase members’ work and the artistry of stitch.

You may wish to tune to the More4 Channel on Thursday 17th September at 9pm for the first in a series of three programmes hosted by Alan Titchmarsh on the life and works of Capability Brown. Often called the ‘father of landscape architecture’ Capability Brown moved hills and sometimes entire villages, tocreate serpentine waterways and rolling vistas that have come to epitomise the English countryside ideal.

 We felt that you may find the programme inspirational, informative and enjoyable.

Message from our Chair, regarding Ugbrooke House & our recent AGM

I am happy to say that we have definitely got Ugbrooke House as our venue for an exhibition celebrating Capability Brown’s birth 300 years ago. Sorry for the short notice but arrangements have been very last minute through no fault of our own. If you want to look round the grounds before they close for the winter you will need to be speedy! They close on 24th September! Please see the poster of opening times as they are not open every day. It is NOT a National Trust property but if you go take your EG membership card and you can get into the grounds free. If you wish to take part in the tour of the house you must pay in the usual way. If you don’t get the chance don’t worry as I took lots of photos ( mixed quality I’m afraid ) and there are some lovely photos on the Ugbrooke House website. If you haven’t a clue what I am talking about please don’t stress as I will no doubt be banging on about it in the coming months! http://www.ugbrooke.co.uk/information.htm
You will also find my chair’s report from the AGM and in due course the minutes will also make an appearance. Chair’s Report AGM 12.09.15
We also have the Regional AGM in October in a village near Bristol. It should be an interesting day so do try to come. Here is the link: Bristol Branch invite you
Last but not least we have Westpoint next week from Thursday to Sunday inclusive for a bit of retail therapy. If you have any exhibits contact one of the committee or drop it into St Thomas on Saturday morning during the YE meeting.
See you all next time, Dee

Message from Cotswold Chair

information about Cotswold Branch Golden Anniversary Exhibition which will be held at
Nature In Art, Twigworth, Gloucester (just off the A38) from 7th – 22nd October 2015.
Times: Tues – Sunday 10 – 5 (closed Monday)
Admission:  free (to this exhibition)
Two of our members – Jan Evans and Angela Bentley will also be Artists in Residence in the adjacent studio for the week 13th – 18th October.  EG Cotswold October poster 2015

Talk given by Mary De Salis at our recent AGM

Mary de Salis gave the group an interesting and informative talk on Devon Lace. Mary is a Lace maker of forty-six years experience and thirty-six years as a teacher. She has travelled the world representing British Lace Makers, entering competitions and collecting lace. Mary started her presentation with a short history of lace, which arrived in this country with the Hugenots escaping persecution from the continent, and then teaching people here their lace making skills as a thank you for being given sanctuary and a welcome. The coastal area between Lyme Regis and Torquay was an area where they landed especially and the local villages around developed as centres of lace making with Woodbury and Woodbury Salterton being particularly well known in later years. There developed many styles of lace that is still made today but Devon is particularly associated with Honiton Lace, although this title developed because Honiton was the central collection point before transport to the London markets. By the early 1800’s hand made lace was in decline due to the availability of machine made lace but was revived by Queen Victoria who wanted her Wedding Dress to be made of hand made lace which took 200 lace makers six months to make. The patterns used were then destroyed, in line with all lace patterns used for Royalty!! Lace making at that time was always traditional in design using white or ecru thread. Today modern lace makers use coloured threads as well to produce jewellery, 3D pieces and pictures. Mary’s display include examples of modern and older laces, bobbins, lace pillows, books and threads.

We thoroughly enjoyed Mary’s presentation, and found it both interesting and illuminating.

MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIR

Hello everyone this is just to remind you that it is the AGM on Saturday in the morning with a very interesting speaker on lace in the afternoon. There will also be a retail therapy opportunity as Marilyn will be bringing in the last items from the lady in Exmouth who passed away. There may also be some freebies if you are very good!

Don’t forget to bring in things for our Westpoint stand please. We will be focusing on books but don’t let that stop you if you have something else to display. Usual rules: name and branch on the back or tied on: named bag preferably with the name of your item or items: means of hanging if it needs to be hung The bag doesn’t need to be fancy. A carrier is fine as long as your name is on it.
We have now secured Ugbrooke House as our exhibition venue for the Capability Brown exhibition and we will be discussing times and opportunities for inspiration visits. One might even be on this Sunday so be sure to look back here on Saturday evening if you can’t come to the meeting.
I hope to see you all soon, Dee

AGM Agenda 12.09.2015  AGM Minutes 2013-14

 Branch Banner – work in progress:  complete lay out

a thank you from force: Force

agm 2015 guest speaker – Miss mary de salis

The History of Lace-Making in Devon

Mary is a local lace-making teacher. She will give us a wonderful talk, and show a display of examples and equipment. She is a very knowledgeable lace-maker who regularly attends workshops in the UK and in Bruges. She has also represented the Lace Guild in international events, most recently in Australia.

magna carta embroidery at taunton, report from sue

I have been to see them and I thought it was very interesting. Advertised as tapestries but they are not tapestries in the true meaning of the word. They are all aspects of hand sewing with a bit of felting thrown in and then turned into twelve panels to represent the forming of the final charter (there were several attempts to get King John to agree to a final wording), and some panels to show how MC has influenced governments around the world. Entrance is free, parking close by -5 minutes walk, or park and ride. The museum itself is interesting but also has a very good cafe. On until 25th April Tuesday’s to Friday, 10.00am til 5.00 pm. Panels go on touring exhibition but this is only opportunity to see them in this part of the country.

 
             ****** BOOKING FORM FOR SOUTH-WEST REGIONAL FESTIVAL *****

Saturday 18thApril 2015, Cheltenham 

booking form and info SW Reg Fest (1)

 Terry Murphy, EG CEO will be attending – to talk about proposed Constitional changes

South West Regional Festival Day – Invite from Cornwall Branch

Saturday 9th April 2016, Wadebridge

here is a link to the flyer:  Cornwall EG flyer

CALLS FOR NOMINATION DOCUMENT FROM HEAD OFFICE

From Terry Murphy, please use this link: HQ Calls for Nominations Announcement Feb 2015

DAY SCHOOL INVITES FROM TAVISTOCK GUILD

2 day Bead workshop – Shelley Cox Monday 30th & Tuesday 31st March 2015, in Tavistock                                                                  £20 per day for EG members, £25 per day for non-members

1 day Millefori Brooches – Jenny Adin-Christie Tuesday 3rd November 2015, in Tavistock                                                                      £20 per day for EG members, £25 per day for non-members

Please contact Dee for further details

STEF FRANCIS

South Devon branch of EG are having Stef Francis for a day on Saturday 21st March. The day school title is ‘Indian Mosaics’. The price is £25 for EG members and £30 for non-members. They meet in Paignton not far from the zoo with plenty of parking on site. If you fancy going please contact  me (Dee) ASAP and I will pass your details onto Julia Rapson.

MOUNT CUTTER AVAILABLE FOR USE

Mount cutter available for use, either at Annie’s house (Exeter), or she can bring it to you, or to a meeting by arrangement. The Guild also has a stock of mount board which members can use to mount finished pieces. If you are interested please contact Annie direct via email (see your members list).

Message from the Chair – 6 January 2015

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!
We had a brilliant year last year in our branch and I hope this year is as successful but without the stress of hosting the Regional Festival! On that subject Cotswold Branch are hosting this year on Saturday 18th April in Cheltenham. I’ll have some leaflets on Saturday.
Craft4Crafters is on the horizon at the end of January. We have a stand and will need work to display. In September we had rather a sparse exhibition well padded by Young Embroiderers. This was not surprising given the fact we pulled out all the stops for the festival but this is a new year so a new start. People brought an amazing array of items for Show and Tell in December and that is what we need. Could you bring your hangings, 3Ds, books, pictures, bags, lampshades or whatever on Saturday please or make arrangements to get them to Lynn or me so we can have a good showing. Thank you. Remember to name your work, your branch and have it in a named bag please. It doesn’t have to be a specially made bag just clearly labelled.
REMINDER: when you book a dayschool you need to give Sue a £10 deposit and pay the balance in good time. Sue will remind you if you have a head like a sieve like me.
Anyway, I’m really looking forward to this year and hope to see lots of you on Saturday, Dee

CHRISTMAS SHOW & TELL

Some of the pieces produced by branch members during 2014.

show and tell 3        P1020771

show and tell 1             P1020790

show and tell 2

Message from the Chair – 9 December 2014

Hello everyone. Next Saturday is our Christmas meeting and some of you will be wondering what happens.
In the morning we will have a show and tell session. This is a chance to show off work you have done this year. It could be something inspired by a workshop or dayschool or totally unrelated. It’s a great opportunity to see what diverse things we do. Don’t be shy and remember it’s not a competition!
We will also have a Christmas bran tub. You bring a wrapped gift about £3 in value, put it in the box provided, collect a ticket and you will get a lovely gift later on. This isn’t obligatory hence the ticket.
You will need to bring some food to share. It could be a salad, a quiche, crisps, cake, chocolate, fruit – whatever you like really.
It’s nice to bring a little bit of sewing to do as well. You might be too busy talking to do any, but it will have an airing!
Nearly forgot, but we will also have a sales table for anyone who wants to sell anything. 10% to the Guild, or more if you like.
Hope to see lots of you there, but if you can’t come Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year to you all, Dee

News From KillertonKillerton Christmas Tree

Report by Dee – December 2014

I realise this is a really bad light but it was the best I could do in a gloomy chapel with no electricity! Teri-Anne and I worked with Jan Tillett to decorate a tree for this year’s Killerton Christmas Event. We made the icicles for the tree using a material like very thick crafters’ Vilene that is sticky on both sides. We ironed on Angelina and strips of organza on both sides and did a bit of machining to hold it all together. Then we cut it into strips and then long triangles, heated it and moulded it around wooden spoon handles! She also got some of her Coffee and Cloth Group to make some.

On Friday Teri-Anne and I went with Jan to dress the tree in the chapel. Various groups are invited to dress a tree and Jan is usually asked. She has credited Exeter Embroiderers’ Guild on her blurb about it. The house and gardens are now open and will run throughout Christmas, nearly daily until 4th January. They have beautiful decorations in the grounds and the chapel is really special. They have several late nights when everything will be beautifully lit.
See Killerton details here

See Jan Tillet’s Workshops here:

jan

TOP